Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Modern Psalm

A Wave 

Your word hits me like a wave from behind I didn't see coming.
Large, and living it catches me at the back of my knees and thrusts me forward. 
It is surprising to the point of fear, the kind of fear that bleed into delight. 
The hem of my dress is wet and speckled with sand, I am breathless with the way it hits home, and comforted by the way it understands me. 
Surrounding me, and overtaking me. 

It exposes itself, rearing tall above me, and then plunging deep, making itself small so as to reach hidden places. 

As it retreats from it's moment of glory it leaves rings of foam around my ankles, and I know that next time I want it to knock me all the way over, not just leaving me staggered, but burying me in itself, washing me smooth and clean like the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment