Saturday, September 7, 2013

End for a Beginning



Oh how I am ready for summer to be over. That sounds kind of harsh, but so is the heat here... soooo, I think I am entitled. I want to cook with things that I love, like squash, and kale, and figs.I want to wear things that I love, like scarves, and boots, and leggings. I want it to be fall. 

My new job is feeding my soul in a deep way I didn't know I was missing until I found it again. The little boy I watch is like miniature version of myself, and our adventures together feel like old friends joining hands after a long time apart. I cook. From their families garden I cook. There is something about earth to table cooking, it feels right and whole. 
Above all I love that what I do now is not only what I'm passionate about, but it blesses someone else in a significant way. Like I am putting their family on stilts in the middle of a flood. 
Me and God. 

Here are some things I have made this month. 

[Peach Crisp with a Cornmeal, Oat, and Black Pepper Crumble]

[Green Tomato Cornbread]

  • 2 cups seeded, diced green tomatoes (about 3/4 lb.)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted and divided 
  • 2 cups yellow cornmeal 
  • 1/2 cup gf flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • large eggs 
  • 1/2 Cup diced green chilies 
  • (16-oz.) container sour cream
  • Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. In a stand mixer beat butter, honey, sour cream, and eggs. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the mixer, and mix until just combined. Fold in the tomatoes, chilies, and lemon zest.
  • Bake in a cornbread mold or muffin tin at 350 for 20 min.



[Roasted Acorn Squash]

No comments:

Post a Comment