Friday, August 17, 2012

Pumpkin Times


I walked out the door to work the other morning and was only the slightest bit chilly. So naturally I thought of pumpkin. Ignoring the rules about waiting till fall is officially upon us, in a grand, messy affair, I made pumpkin everything as follows.


I began with a grain free pumpkin batter this is perfectly versatile. I made little muffins and loaves dressed with either savory sage cream cheese, or lavender maple.

This is homemade Pumpkin Applesauce. I think it's better still warm.

Pumpkin Applesauce

8 Apples (any kind depending on what flavor you are going for. I used Gala because they are so sweet and I can get away with using less sugar.)

11/2 cups of water
2 Tbs Lemon juice
1/4 cup Pure maple syrup
Cinnamon
Clove
Ginger - tsp of each
1 cup Cooked, and purred pumpkin

Core and dice the apples into medium chunks. I leave the skin on because it's better for you :)
Cover with the water and add the lemon juice. Boil until all the water is absorbed and the apples are tender enough to mash, about 11/2 to 2 hours. Puree with an immersion blender. Add the spices and pumpkin. Simmer for just a few more minutes to blend the flavors. I leave mine just slightly chunky and eat it warm on bread :)


This Way and That Pumpkin Bread (grain-free)

1 Stick organic butter
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Sucanut Sugar
1tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 cup Cooked and purred pumpkin
1/2 cup Almond milk
1 1/2 cups Almond flour
1/2 Brown rice flour
1tsp Sea salt
1tsp Cinnamon
1tsp Ginger

1tsp Nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder

In an electric mixer, cream the butter, sucanut, and eggs for 5 min. Add the vanilla, pumpkin, and almond milk, mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients. Add to the mixer.
Bake at 350. The times will vary depending on what shape you make these in, the final product is dense and moist. Watch out for the tops of you cakes, they can burn pretty fast when you use almond flour.

To make the cream cheese I just whipped it with a little coconut milk and added the fresh sage or lavender.






No comments:

Post a Comment