Sunday, December 30, 2012

Scones and Snow


I was watching Downton Abbey and of course that sent me into a tailspin of needing scones and tea. I formatted a recipe from Poires au Chocolat. I am enraptured with this blog, and you really should just read her whole post on scones. It's magical and you will also learn how to be british and awesome. 
Anyway... it was cold and snow was just beginning to cover the ground outside. I made a pot of earl grey and ate these with clotted cream and raspberry jam. 
This is why I bake. 
I also tried out some new lighting and staging techniques on these photographs. I am in the process of making my own light box, so pics to follow of that endeavour! 













Simple Gluten Free Scones
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup double cream
2 Tbs creme fraiche or cream cheese
1/2 cup whole milk
an egg yolk, or a little extra milk, to glaze

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a small baking tray. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Place the double cream, milk, and creme fraiche into a small bowl and whisk together.

Pour the cream mixture into the flour bowl and fold in very gently with a metal spoon, being careful not to overwork. The dough will be sticky, so dust your hands with a little brown rice flour and shape them however you want. Mine made about 8 large scones. I also like the rustic look so I did some as drop biscuits. Brush each one with a little egg wash.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the top.
These are not what I would call "healthy" per say (even though they are much better than the alternative allergy-wise) but they are scones... soooooooo. 





2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog! Can't wait to try this recipe. Keep up the good work, I look forward to future entries. Happy New Year. BTW your photos rock!

    ReplyDelete